Monday, March 31, 2014

God's Design: Holy Living and Prayer Part 2




The idea for starting this blog originally came from my husband.  I am thankful for that.  He is a godly man and a strong spiritual leader for me.  Not only that, he is my pastor!







I guess since he was the instigator of my blog, and since he is my strongest spiritual influence, it makes sense that God would use the things he has taught me to be the basis of most of my blog posts.  I have sincerely prayed and asked God to use this space for His glory alone and solely for His purposes.  My prayer is that He would direct the when and what to place on this blog.  I know He will always accomplish His perfect will when we subject ourselves to Him:


So, one of the many things I learn from him is the importance of holy living.  Not living according to rules that man (even Christian man) has made, but being a "living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your reasonable worship." ( Romans 12:1b)  He has taught me, through the Word, that we are free: free from the bondage of sin!  We are now free in Christ to live righteous and holy lives! (Romans 6:22)


I love our Wednesday night prayer meetings.  It is one of the sweetest gatherings at our church (well, they are all sweet...but you know what I mean!)  Jeff always gives us a short devotional usually having something to do with prayer.  A few weeks ago he highlighted for us the life of George Whitfield and his heart for a life of holiness before God.  I would like to share with you something from George Whitfield.  It is a sort of "run down of the day" list from his diary that he went through in his mind each evening.  The reason I named this post Holy Living and Prayer Part 2 is because this list covers both!

So here they are.  I pray they are a blessing to you as they have been to me.  I'm not always faithful to go through them each night, but a few of them have stuck with me and caused me to keep my mind stayed upon Jehovah during the day.

Have I,

  1. Been fervent in private prayer?

  2. Used stated hours of prayer?

  3. Used prayer every hour?  (This one has stuck with me!  I feel like I am constantly sending up red flare prayers to God, but I am working on having a deliberate time to pray and thank God every hour.  I need Him every hour!)

  4. After or before every deliberate conversation or action, considered how it might tend to God's glory? (Yeah, this one got me!  Has definitely caused me to pause and consider Him and His glory through my day)

  5. After any pleasure, immediately given thanks? (Mmmhmm....this one too.  I better stop the commentary or this post will never end!)

  6.  Planned business for the day? (Planning...God is a God of order)

  7.  Been simple and recollected in everything? 

  8.  Been zealous in undertaking and active in doing what good I could?

  9.  Been meek, cheerful, affable in everything I said or did? (convicting...)

10. Been proud, vain, unchaste, or enviable of others? (convicting...)

11. Recollected in eating and drinking? Thankful? Temperate in sleep? (okay...they all convict me!)

12. Taken time for giving thanks according to [William] Law's rules? See this

13. Been diligent in studies? (2 Timothy 2:15)

14. Thought or spoken unkindly of anyone?

15. Confessed all sin?


What a way to end the day, huh?

Psalm 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O Lord my Rock and my Redeemer."

No comments:

Post a Comment