Wednesday, February 26, 2014

God's Design: Prayer












I realized recently that, for a blog entitled Living Out God's Design, I have never taken the time to point out, specifically, what God's design is for us as women.  Of course, most of you already know.  There are multiple books and blogs written on the subject and some wonderful conferences as well.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming, though, to see it all and apply it to our lives.  


Someone taught me, years ago, to begin the practice of highlighting in my bible-using a pink highlighter- every verse or section of scripture I came across that deals with specific things God has ordained for us as women.  I have even gone a step farther, as there are many commands that are to both women and men.  I highlight those too!  So, when I am reading my bible and see a pink highlight, I think," Pay attention!  This is specifically for me!" (disclaimer:  Yes, I know the whole bible is for me :)  I also know not everyone thinks it proper to write in your bible :)...so another alternative is to keep a journal specifically for this task). 


I have decided to take time on this blog to periodically point out specific things God has purposed for women in His perfect sovereignty and glorious design.  The first one is one that I love yet fail so often to do: Prayer.  Specifically:  Prayer for our children.  We do so many things for our children, but this is by far one of the greatest things we can do for them.  So many scriptures tell us to pray:




 Philippians 4:6 “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.” 


1 Timothy 2:1 “I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men.”

Luke 18:1  “And he spake a parable unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint.”

These are just a few of the commands for us to pray.  It is only through His Spirit and power that we can accomplish anything...and the same goes for our children! Oh how we need to pray for them! 


Here is a list of things to pray for your children that I find so helpful to keep me on track. I don't always use it and it is not meant to be a ball and chain, but a great resource to help us be more consistent. If you don't have children, I am sure there are a lot of children in your church, neighborhood and family that could benefit from a godly woman praying for them!  


I don't remember where I got the resource, and wish I could give credit to the source, but I do remember that it was sent with the blessing to share at will!  I pray it will be an encouragement to you and a catalyst to live out God's design  y as a woman of prayer!


P.S.  If you can't print out the list from my blog, please fee free to email me at JeffnShell10@gmail.com and I will send it to you!




Praying for the Children (Rooted in God's Word)

Acts 19:20.........I thank you Father that Your Word prevails over our children. 
Isa 54:13...........That they are taught of the Lord and continue to be 
Prov 13:1.......... the fruit of godly instruction and correction. 
Isa 54:13...........Great is their peace and undisturbed composure. 
Prov 2:6............ Father, give us counsel and wisdom in bringing up our children.
1Pet 1:14.......... I say they are obedient, not conforming to the things of the flesh,
1Pet 1:15.......... but holy, in all conduct. 
1Pet 2:2........... desiring the pure milk of the Word that they may grow thereby.
Jas 1:19............That they are swift to hear, slow to speak, and slow to wrath.
Heb 13:5.......... Their conduct is without covetousness,
Heb 13:5.......... and they are content with what they have.
Heb 13:16......... They do not forget to do what is right and to share. 
2Pet 3:18.......... I pray that they grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord,
1Thes 4:1......... and abound more and more in how they should walk and please You.
1Pet 5:5........... That they submit to their elders, and to one another,
1Pet 5:5........... being clothed with humility.
1Pet 5:7........... That they cast their cares upon You, Father, for You care for them.
Jas 1:22............I thank You that they are doers of the Word, and not hearers only,
Philemon 1:6...........effectively sharing their faith. 
2Tim 1:7 ..........not having a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound mind.
2Tim 1:9...........Father, You have saved them and called them with a holy calling, 
2Tim 1:9 ..........not according to works, but according to Your own purpose.
2Tim 4:18.........Deliver them from every evil work and preserve them.
John 10:5 ........They will by no means follow strangers, not knowing their voices. 
2Tim2:22 .........They abide with others who call on the Lord out of a pure heart,
Jas 3:10 ..........and cursing comes not out of their mouth.
1Jn 5:18 ..........Because Jesus keeps them safe, the wicked one does not touch them. 
Ps 91:11..........Give Your angels special charge to accompany, defend, preserve
Ps 4:8.............and provide safety for them, day and night.
1Jn 2:5 ...........Because they keep Your Word, Your love is being perfected in them.
1Jn 2:15 .........They do not love the world or the things in the world, 
3Jn 1:11..........and they do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. 
1Jn 1:7 ...........They walk in the light as You are in the Light,
Jas 4:8 ...........cleansing their hands and purifying their hearts, 
2Tim 2:22 .......They follow after righteousness, faith, love, and peace.
Heb 13:18........They have a good conscience and desire to live honorably,
Prov 3:4 ..........having favor and high esteem with God and man

No comments:

Post a Comment