Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mom's Night Out Review



So, I promised I would do a review of the new movie coming out Mother's Day weekend called Mom's Night Out.  Jeff and I were sent free tickets to a screening of the movie.  It was close to Valentine's Day and someone had given us a Cheesecake Factory gift card at Christmas...so we decided to make a date of it! 

My husband is not one much for movies, but knowing the reputation of the makers of Fireproof, Facing the Giants, and Courageous and knowing they were partners in the making of the movie, we knew it was going to be at least a movie that was clean and one we would not be ashamed to say we had attended.  To be honest, I didn't know what to expect from the movie and Jeff and I were both pleasantly surprised.




I must make a disclaimer here to say this:  the movie is not overly spiritual and does not seek to be so. In fact, before the screening, I was pleased that one of the movie reps made a deliberate point to make that distinction. That being said, we did find the movie to have spiritual depth and refreshingly bold conservative values on family and the important role of motherhood from a biblical perspective.

I don't want to give away too much about the movie, so I won't go into detail about the story line, etc. What I will tell you is this: This is not only one of the funniest Christian movies I have ever seen, it is one of the funniest movies ever that I have personally watched.  From beginning to end I don't think a smile ever left my face.  My husband and I laughed and laughed through the whole movie. It was clean, it was funny, it was moving, it was real, it was encouraging and it shed a beautiful light on God's design for motherhood.  And it wasn't just "entertainment".  It was purposeful!  My husband thinks most movies that he has seen are a "waste of time".  He didn't say that about this movie.  We talked about it all the way home, in fact.  Now, my husband is a pastor, and as stated before, the movie was not intended to impart any great doctrine, but it spoke to the joy, trial, and triumph in the beauty and blessing of motherhood!  I especially enjoyed Patricia Heaton's pastor's wife character.  Not all, but I identified with much of her character and I loved the honest and transparent way she and the pastor's family was portrayed 

I do recommend the movie for those interested in a picture that is clean, funny, and appropriate and I look forward to watching it with my mother, daughters, and friends.

Here's a link to their web page where you can watch the trailer and get more information:
http://momsnightoutmovie.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Shelley! I'll be requesting that we see this as a family for my Mother's Day weekend! ;-)

    ReplyDelete